Content Area Reading

Welcome!

This is a blog designed by Hobart teachers Rhiannon Jolliff and Kristen Smith to share ideas, research, and resources about teaching literacy at the elementary (K-6) level. Here you will find information about content area reading, 21st Century Learning, vocabulary instruction, and much, much more! We hope you will follow us as we grow as teachers, readers, and bloggers!

Monday, November 1, 2010

21st Century Writing

Every year, I (Rhiannon) teach letter writing to my first grade students.  What I hadn't considered, however, is teaching students about crafting an e-mail, though I know that in the "real world" adults are more likely to create an electronic letter rather than a handwritten one.  Here is a lesson idea shared by my professor with our graduate reading course. 

What’s the Difference? Beginning Writers Compare E-mail with Letter Writing

(This is one of many great lessons from the ReadWriteThink website, which also has links for parents!) 

 

I think that while it is still important to teach students what now seems to be the ancient practice of handwritten letter writing, I have to keep pushing to incorporate technology into my writing lessons as well.  I have found typing to be an issue, due to the difficulty my students have finding letters on the QWERTY keyboard, but I am guessing that if I practiced this more in class, and also suggested that students practice typing at home when they want to practice word wall words or "write" a story or note, perhaps this would not be as trying as I once thought!  I am going to consider this when doing our holiday letter writing, such as letters to Santa, or writing thank-yous to family and friends.  Maybe we can send emails instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment